Scouting the Western Otways in 1913 following the procurement of a government contract to supply timber for Melbourne and Portland, Pettitt Bros, a Geelong timber company found their source at Ferguson and Weeaproinah on Camp Creek.
|Sawmill map (Houghton 2018)|
At the headwaters of Carlisle River the gullies reached a spur near the railway station, an area now known as Charleys Creek Road. Pettitt obtained the rights from landholders of over 240 hectares of land. Originally carting the sawn timber out by bullock wagon until the mud and slush caused problems which resulting in Pettitt installing a large and powerful steam winch, strategically placed above the creek of the steep sided valley. It was anchored to three layers of criss-cross logs that were buried several metres into the ground. The snig lines ran out for up to 1.5km to drag piles up to the winch. The piles were 33.5 metres in length and were loaded onto the train in pairs spread over three rail trucks. (Houghton 2018 p. 165).
|Pile siding, Image George Facey|
The Otway Districts Historical Society has further information on all sidings and sawmills in the Otways region. Call into the history rooms or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Siding (rail) accessed 9 August 2021, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siding_(rail)
Houghton, N., 1992, The Beechy, Light Railray Research Society of Australia, Victoria
Houghton, N., 2018, Choppers and Chippers, West Otways timber history, Norman Houghton, Geelong